1953: CEES traces its history with the establishment of the Department of Extra-mural Studies in Makerere, Uganda
1956: First resident tutor for Kenya was appointed in
1963: Extra-Mural Studies in Kenya transferred to a new Extra-Mural Department of the then University College, Nairobi
1967: The three wings of the Institute (Adult Studies Centre, the Correspondence Course Unit AND Extra Mural Unit) were amalgamated to form Extra-Mural Division.
1983: The Institute was accorded College status and became the College of Adult and Distance
1988: The College was then re-organized, re-structured and renamed the College of Education and External Studies (CEES).