On the night of Saturday/Sunday May 14 – 15, 2016, a group of students
went on the rampage around the Halls of Residence at Main Campus to
protest against the ban on cooking in the hostels. The students destroyed
property in the kitchens and damaged equipment meant for staging a Youth
Empowerment Concert at the Chancellor’s Court.
Cooking in the hostels remains outlawed and all students must abide by the
tenancy regulations they signed upon being allocated rooms.
The University will remain steadfast on the ban of cooking in the hostels.
The hostels were not structurally designed to accommodate cooking in the
rooms as it overloads the power system and exposes the students and the
halls to extreme danger.
The Kenya Power Company has severally sent advisories to the University on
the dangers of students cooking in the halls.
The University will ensure that there is sufficient food in the kitchens
at affordable prices and students are urged to buy their food from the
dining halls and cafeterias.
Lastly, I wish to warn all resident students who continue to violate
University regulations and expose other students to danger that firm
action will be taken against them in accordance with University
ISAAC M. MBECHE
DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR (SA)
PROFESSOR OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCE