About Us

The College of Education and External Studies is a key player in training of teachers and other human resource who manage and ensure successful performance within the Education Sector. 

The College of Education and External Studies is a key player in training of teachers and other human resource who manage and ensure successful performance within the Education Sector.

HISTORICAL SETTING

1953: Department of Extra Mural Studies (DEMS) of Maker ere University established in Kenya at Koibatek in Baringo County.

1956: First Resident Tutor for Kenya appointed (Okot p’Bitek).

1963: Organization of extra mural activities transferred to Kenya under a newly established DEMS at Royal Technical College Nairobi.

1963:College of Social Studies at Kikuyu absorbed into Royal Technical College Nairobi and merges with DEMS to form institute of Adult Studies (IAS).

1966: BEd Arts programme developed and launched at Royal Technical College Nairobi.

1967: IAS merges with Correspondence Course Unit (CCU) to give 3 departments: DEMS, Adult Studies and CCU

1972: Faculty of Education established at Main Campus with assistance from UNESCO.

1972: BEd Arts programme transferred to the new Faculty of Education in the present Education Building.

1978: Faculty of Education transferred to Kenyatta University College, the first Constituent College of the University of Nairobi.

1983: IAS accorded College status and is renamed College of Adult and Distance Education (CADE).

1983: CADE restructured to create 2 faculties:

  • Faculty of External Studies
  • Faculty of Social Sciences

1985: Kenyatta University College receives its Charter and becomes a full-fledged University, KU.A Teacher training hiatus is created at UoN.

1988: Faculty of Education is revived under CADE.

1988: CADE restructured and Faculty of Social Sciences dissolved to leave two Faculties:

  • Faculty of Education
  • Faculty of External Studies

1988: College renamed: “College of Education and External Studies, CEES.”

2005: CEES restructured to create 2 Schools

  • School of Education.
  • School of Continuing and Distance Education.

2005: Centre for Open and Distance Learning (CODL), established as part of CEES.

2007: Kenya Science Teachers College is handed over and becomes a campus of the University of Nairobi.

2008: Kenya Science Teachers College renamed “Kenya Science Campus”

2015: Centre for Pedagogy and Andragogy established as a unit under CEES.

2016: CEES is restructured to create ODeL Campus.

2017: ODeL Campus is operationalized. The entire School of Continuing and Distance Education and CODL ceded to ODeL Campus, along with their staff, offices and Extra Mural Centers (EMCs).

2017/2018:  CEES College Academic Board realigns College Strategic Plan to strategize on expansion of CEES.

2018: College Academic Board develops the College Strategic Plan 2018 – 2023 and recommends several strategies to revamp CEES.